The late Rev. James R. Coel, the pastor of a circuit of North Carolina churches, relocated to Baltimore, Maryland in 1926 to become the Pastor of Fountain Baptist Church. After 5 years of serving, Rev. Coel resigned his position, and he and his members met in homes to form the Southern Baptist Church. The first service was held on April 5, 1931, with 250 to 275 members on Mulliken and Spring Streets.
After moving to several locations during the depression years, Pastor Coel’s health began to fail. Rev. James R. Grant was asked to take up the mantle. After Pastor Coel’s death on June 21, 1937, Rev. James R. Grant was elected Pastor.
Under Pastor Grant’s leadership, the church grew, became state incorporated in 1941, and was able to purchase the building at Bond and Preston Street in 1942. Because of the growth, the membership decided to purchase the 1700 block of Chester Street property with the God-given mission to build a new edifice.
Rev. Nathaniel Higgs was called by God and preached his trial sermon under Rev. Grant. In November 1966, Rev. Higgs was elected pastor after Pastor Grant was called from earth to reward on October 4, 1965. Under his leadership, the church took on many innovations, such as developing choirs, expanding ministries, and being first to create an Early Morning Worship. On June 4, 1972, the Southern Baptist Church moved into its new edifice, and on June 5, 1997, the church burned a 30-year mortgage. At the turn of a new millennium, the church built the Coel, Grant, and Higgs Senior Housing Complex, providing close access to the church.
On Sunday, October 6, 2002,
Rev. Donte Hickman was presented
to the congregation as the newly elected pastor.
On September 12, 2010, through his God-inspired leadership, Pastor Hickman extended the church’s outreach to global evangelism by launching the first multi-site location Southern Baptist Church – Harford County in the Regal Bel Air movie theater. In just 5 short months, Southern Baptist Church Harford County has outgrown its 325 seat worship space. On February 6th, 2011, Southern Baptist Church – Harford County moved to Aberdeen High School with an 800 seat worship space and classroom space which allowed us to implement our Children’s Church and early morning discipleship program.